25 January 2011

31 Day Photo Challenge // Day 21


Day 21 - A picture of something you wish you could forget.


It was pool day at the summer park camp I went to when I was 7. I wasn't the best of swimmers yet & managed to 'catch' the perfect wave that pushed me out of my safe zone. I remember clearly standing at the bottom of the pool & seeing all these suits swimming around me. I couldn't jump high enough to surface. I couldn't reach out far enough to grab the walls. My nose & throat burned & I could taste the chlorine. I remember getting dizzy & panicking, randomly grabbing onto the first swimsuit that came withing arms length & held on as tight as I could. I still have no idea who the random swimmer was, but she got me up to the side & out of the pool.

I stayed clear of deep pools for the rest of the summer but have been swimming in lakes, pools, and beaches plenty of times since. It's only when I'm sitting on the edge watching the waves I get random flashbacks of drowning. It's also probably the reason I watch my kids like a hawk when they're in the pool, floaties & all.

No comments: