09 August 2012

Pumpkin Loaf w/Chocolate Swirl!

I'll admit it....I'm ready for Summer to end. Fall is by far my favorite of the seasons. Love the holidays, the sights, the smells, & above all, the food. So when I was flipping through the monsters' new cookbook yesterday, I just HAD to try this right away. & man, am I glad I did!

Officially the recipe is called "Ernie's Halloween Marble Cake" from Sesame Street's "B is for Baking" healthy cookbook. I altered it around a bit to make bread loaves, which will be described here. If you choose to make a cake, just bake in a bundt pan instead. ;)
Ingredients:
3c all-purpose flour, 1.25c sugar, 2tsp EACH of baking powder & baking soda, 1tsp EACH of ground cinnamon & salt, 2c of your veggie of choice (can be butternut/acorn squash, skinless sweet potatoes, or a 15oz can pumpkin. I chose the latter), 1.5c olive oil, 4 eggs, 1.5tsp vanilla extract, & 6oz melted chocolate chips (optional for chocolate swirl).
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350* & grease pan(s).
Whisk together all dry ingredients in one bowl (flour, sugar, baking powder/soda, cinnamon, salt). In another bowl mash squash/potatoes/pumpkin.
Add olive oil, eggs, & vanilla into bowl w/mashed veggies & mix well. Gradually add in dry ingredients, mix til smooth.
Transfer 1/3 batter into another bowl & mix with melted chocoalte.
Spoon batters alternately into pan & swirl chocolate/batter mix with either a knife or spatula to create marble effect.
Bake 50-60m/until a knife inserted into the center of the pan comes out clean. Cool for 15m & enjoy!

For an extra bonus I spread some homemade cream cheese frosting across a slice. Delish!

No comments: