03 December 2011

DIY Ornaments


Every year the monsters & I like to decorate the tree with & hand out homemade ornaments to family and friends. This year I decided to reach back to an old recipe I hadn't played with in awhile...salt dough!
Super easy. Mix 2c flour with 1c salt.

Gradually add in 1c water, mix, & knead into a ball.

Roll out on a flat FLOURED surface for cookie cutter ornaments, or mold into the shape of your choice.

Bake @250* for 60-90m, depending on amount & thickness. Ours took about 75m.
TIP - Poke a ribbon hole BEFORE you bake. Otherwise you risk cracking/breaking. I used the top of a pen cap for ours.

Look for hairline cracking & light browning on the backs & edges to signal they're ready to come out & cool.

I set mine aside to cool on the counter for about 2hrs, aka lunch & naptime, before we started to paint. Drew & Lyn LOVED designing certain ornaments for certain recipients.

Gwen was thrilled to finger paint...

..until she discovered the ornaments weren't edible. That pretty much ended her interest & involvement in the project.

Finished products. Just need some ribbon & they're ready for their new homes!


Anyone else have any DIY decoration ideas for the season? I'd love to hear them!

2 comments:

Chantel said...

So cute! I'll have to try this next year when I have kids who aren't breaking all of my ornaments....Or so I hope.

maddie said...

lol. Our tree has always been ridiculously top heavy. Barely anything stays on the bottlom!