15 May 2014

"Do You Want to Build a Snowman?"

As mentioned previously, x2 turned 7 back on May 4th. :)
We're still caught up in the madness of all things "Frozen" so it was no surprise to me when my own little Anna asked for that to be her theme this year.



After scouring Pinterest with her (& finding some extremely awesome ideas!), we decided on doing our version of the Arendelle banner &, of course, we had to add Olaf in there along with the paper snowflakes & streamers.



& while I love to craft & bake, I stink at cakes. Anything above the very most basic of marshmallow fondant designs & I'm way out of my league. x2 had spotted her dream cake, a multi-tiered "North Mountain" masterpiece with Elsa, Anna, & the gang placed all around to celebrate.
Solution? Powdered donuts!



Okay, so not the most elegant of creations, but it worked! The kids loved it & it was so much easier to just pull apart the donuts & serve vs cutting into & messing up a beautiful cake.

Now, the tricky part of a "Frozen" party in May, especially in Georgia, is the frozen aspect itself. It was 80*+ at party time, so we set up sprinklers, squirt guns, & water balloons for a "melted snowball fight". The biggest hit, I think, was a DIY snow recipe I found over at Growing a Jeweled Rose. We took 2 big boxes of Baking Soda (the jumbo size, found in the laundry aisle!) & mixed it with 3 cans of shaving cream. After a few minutes of working the 2 ingredients together we had moldable snow! & it was COLD! A nice contrast to a hot & sunny day.



The little kids had a BLAST & honestly I think the adults enjoyed playing with it just as much. I will admit I was surprised to find that the "snow" stayed cold as long as 24 hours later! Definitely a keeper for the summer!

As for "Frozen" itself, I don't see our house jumping off the bandwagon anytime soon. Both x2 & x3 have asked to dress up as the sisters this year for Halloween, which means costumes are now in the works!


Stay tuned to see how they turn out!

No comments: